Little is known of the early history of the gardens. It is assumed from the great age of many of the specimen trees that they were laid out at the time Mertoun House was built or possibly prior to that as Old Mertoun House, part of which is now the head gardener’s house in the walled garden – dates from 1677 and the circular dovecote from 1567.
Visit the garden website where further information about the gardens and their opening times can be found.
Visitors to Mertoun Gardens should note that the entrance is located at the Magdalenehall junction on the B6404 (as signposted in the photo).
Get in touch with the Estate Office
To ask a question about farming, forestry, fishing, property rentals or anything else, just get in touch with us.